Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles


Saturday morning breakfasts were always a tradition in my house when I was growing up.  I used to get so excited to see what my mom would make each Saturday.  Pancakes?  Waffles?  Eggs?  French Toast?  I loved them all.  That excitement has trickled over in to my adult life as well and Saturday morning breakfasts are a tradition that my husband and I have continued.  I love looking up and trying new breakfast recipes and continuing a tradition that I loved as a kid, and hopefully our kids will love just as much someday :)

The first day of fall was yesterday and it's one of my favorite seasons.  I'm sure you'll notice soon that I'm obsessed with apple and pumpkin recipes around this time of year.  To kick that off, I made Pumpkin Waffles this morning.  They were delicious!  My husband doesn't really care for waffles too much and even he said they were delicious and he wanted me to save him one for breakfast later in the week!  They taste kind of like pumpkin bread in a waffle form, and boy do I love pumpkin bread!  I have a Cuisinart Belgian Waffle Maker that makes 4 square waffles at a time and this recipe made about 10 waffles, which was way too much for just us two!  So if you have a similar waffle maker, I might suggest halving the recipe or you can do what I did and freeze them for another time.  This is a perfect fall morning treat! :)  

P.S.  We're going to Oktoberfest tomorrow(the real one!), so I'll be back next week with what I'm sure will be some yummy food and drink pictures!

Pumpkin Waffles

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, separated (yolks in one bowl, whites in another)
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
Cooking Spray
Preheat waffle iron. Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.
In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold very soft peaks. Fold them gently into the waffle batter, until just combined.
Brush waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon batter (about 2 cups for four 4-inch Belgian waffles) into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
 Continue with remaining batter until gone!


Adapted from http://penniesonaplatter.com/

1 comment: