Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas


So this is my first food post on my new blog! :)  You'll have to bear with me on the pictures because at the time, I'm using my Iphone because it's the best I have.  Hopefully sometime in the near future, I'll improve!  
If you know me, you know that I LOVE mexican food.  I could literally eat it all day, every day, and not be sick of it.  Unfortunately, here in Germany, the mexican food we have found is just not the same.  There are quite a few restaurants that claim to be mexican, but their salsa tastes like ketchup, their chips are like cardboard, and their meat and sauces are bland.  I try to make one mexican dish a week at home, for this reason.  This week, I made one of my hubby's favorites: Slower Cooker Pork Carnitas.  He loves anything pork and was literally eating it with his fingers before and after the meal because he just couldn't stop.  It is an absolutely delicious meal and the best part is that it's in the Crock Pot so you don't have to mess with it!  I'm not even a huge pork fan, but I love this meal too!  Hope you like it! :)

Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas

1 (2lb) boneless pork shoulder roast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 cup chicken broth

  1. Mix together salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and cinnamon in a bowl. Coat pork with the spice mixture. Place the bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the pork on top. Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to rinse off the spice mixture.
  2. Cover and cook on Low until the pork shreds easily with a fork, about 10 hours. Turn the meat after it has cooked for 5 hours. When the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker, and shred with two forks. Use cooking liquid as needed to moisten the meat.

Adapted from Allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment