Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The PERFECT Salsa



This is literally, as the title says, the PERFECT salsa.  I am a huge mexican food lover and I am super picky about my salsa.  I usually get store-bought salsa, but recently I have been so bored with it.  None of them seem to match what I really want in a salsa.  However, I have always loved restaurant salsa (well, most restaurants), but living over here in Germany, I have been to 3 different mexican restaurants and have yet to find one that I even remotely like.  It seems like the concept of salsa got lost over here and to me, all it tastes like is ketchup with onions and peppers... blah.  I'm not one to turn down chips and salsa, but at the restaurants over here, I won't even come close to the damage that I can do at the amazing mexican restaurants back home.  


I had found this restaurant-style salsa recipe a while back, but hadn't really felt the urge to make it until recently when all I've been wanting is a GOOD salsa.  After the first taste, I was hooked.  I was almost mad at myself for not having tried this earlier!  It was so easy and so good!  I am a huge spicy fan and a huge cilantro fan and making my own salsa lets me have exactly what I want!  This recipe fits both of those loves for me, but the best part is that if I need more spice or more cilantro, I'm making it myself, so I can add it!  I just made a batch this past Saturday and my husband and I have already almost eaten it all (2 mason jars full!).  It is so addicting!  I'm telling you, make it!  You will love it!  I don't think I'll ever go back to store-bought salsa again!


Hope you all enjoy!  I'm going to go eat some salsa now :)



Restaurant-Style Salsa

1 can (28 Ounce) whole tomatoes With juice
2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
1/4  cup onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, sliced thin
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.
Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour.
Adapted from Fake Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment